Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Noh Costumes

First I wanted to research the japanese kimono, but I decided Noh costumes would be more interesting. Each costume has a lot of dazzling patterns. Some even have gold leaf on the designs. I bet all of the costumes feel soft and silky. The way the costumes are hung is unique, like they are paintings on a wall to be admired or worn. I read on a site that most of the designs represnt their character, like if they are a demon they might have triangles on their costume, which meant they had scales. I learned that there is difference between the length of the costume's sleeves. There are long sleeves and small sleeves. The long sleeves have a larger hole at the wrist, while the small sleeves have a smaller hole at wrist. Though each are styled different. I think it is a bit sexist that only men could act in the Noh plays. But, maybe it is because men were only samurai and the Noh costumes resemble Samurai outfits.
http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/sitephotos/factsheetimgs/Noh-masks.jpgThe main actor in the play is called Shite. Here are four Noh masks. I think I have seen a few before at the Nelson-Atkin's Museum. I enjoy all of the funny expressions of these masks. I wonder which one is the demon one. (Haha) You can see the wrinkles of the old man and how it emphasizes his confused countence. They all appear very suprised, prehaps that mood can be interperted in different views during the play. The top right seems frightened though he could also appear angry.
Some of the Noh costumes remind me of this painting: The Kiss by Gustav Klimt. It is because of the ornate patterns and vivid colors.
Here is part of a sleeve. It looks like a pillow. A lot of use of warm colors and complementary colors as well like the orange and blue leaves. I almost did not see the green leaves, because they blend well with the golden background if it was not for the orange growth on the tips of the green leaves drawing my attention to them I would have missed them entirely. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1989.367
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment